CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Full of Complex Carbohydrates and MicroNutrients

I am a novelty to many (and I'm fine with that).
I have a very silly sense of humor usually riddled with malapropisms (and I'm fine with that, too).
I ask too many questions of Life and I expect all the answers.
I trust people too easily when I shouldn't; however, I respect everyone regardless…unless they do something to make me think twice.
I don't cheat. I am tactful yet will give the truth up front (and never mean to hurt anyone's feelings with it).
I like to help the people who have helped me, and even those who have not.
I never forget... but sometimes I misplace things.
I never lose hope.
I am awesomely blessed for the people who have come into my life, and I am blessed for the people who have left because I realize I didn't need them anyway.
I honestly feel that laughter is the best medicine you can have.
I believe in being strong when everything else seems to be going wrong.
I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles. In other words, I'm human, and definitely not perfect.
But tomorrow is another day, and there's so much cheese to be had...
(thank you to Ranae S. for this bit of inspiration!)

Please click often! It's free, and it helps our animal friends in shelters

The Animal Rescue Site

Everyone, get up and dance now!

Monday, September 27, 2010

And the Horror Hootenanny's "Best Costume" prize goes to...

ME!!!

The Dapper Zombie!
I am elated (though remain humble as always... hee hee) about winning this year's 1st prize at Dr. Gangrene's annual Horror Hootenanny. The prize was a $75 gift certificate to Lone Wolf Tattoo Studios in Nashville! I've been seriously jonesing for some fresh ink for a long while now, and will certainly put it to good use. My dreams of completing my arm sleeves are another step closer!


This year's theme was "Rock 'n' Roll Zombie Party" and with it, many kids simply slapped on some white-face and smeared black around their eyes to complete the look (along with a few splashes of stage blood).


Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill, always... I knew I wanted to win the much-coveted first prize, and set off on an evil, greasepaint-laden course to achieve my wicked goal. And, as most of you know, I once aspired to be a Special Effects makeup artist when I lived in Hollywood, so doing scary monster prosthetics is something that is near and dear to me.

A trip to Mecca (aka Performance Studios near downtown NashVegas) to procure a horrifying latex mask was first in order in the steps to render myself into a festering minion of the Undead. I found exactly what I needed, which was a fully-articulated foam rubber variety that allowed me to move my jaw once it was attached to my face. After all, being able to talk and drink liquids through a straw was important, you know. 

That done, I proceeded to step 2: What to wear as a costume? 

I considered a moldering, ripped black evening gown to complete the look of 'freshly risen from the dead,' but that was far too typical. I needed an EDGE... what to set myself apart from the rest of the herd? Then I remembered, I had an old pinstriped men's suit that had been hanging in my closet for years (last time I wore it was at the AVN Awards in Las Vegas in 2004), and what better usage than this stellar opportunity, eh? A well-dressed rotting corpse is one you're likely to remember long after the show, and a Dapper Zombie will surely leave a lasting impression for years to come. 

The foam latex mask was about a half-inch thick, adhered to my skin with that trusty old standby of stage and screen, spirit gum! I swear, when I smell its acrid odor, it lifts my mood and gets my old black heart pumping happily. I slathered my face with the malodorous goo, then applied a heavy layer to the inside of the mask.
The beginning stages of applying the foam rubber latex mask
Spirit gum is coated inside the mask and allowed to become tacky













With the appliance securely glued to my face, it was time to add several layers of liquid latex to the outer edges, to further adhere and blend the appliance onto my face.


(NOTE: Not a very pleasant thing to use, as it smells strongly of ammonia and and can be potentially dangerous, particularly if you have any latex allergies - therefore, extreme care and ventilation is needed whenever using this product!)




At least ten full layers total were painted on to form a strong, skin-like bond, with each layer being dried thoroughly with a hand-held blow dryer before the next layer was applied.









I wanted to create the look of rotting, peeling flesh, and as each layer was dried, I lifted my neck up to pull it almost off my own skin and then painted another thick coating of latex. This process was repeated several times until I achieved the desired look.




The effect was very realistic, especially when I inserted a good blob of coagulated stage blood seeping out of the wound!





After this painstaking process was completed, it was time to move onto my favorite stage - applying the horror grease paint. Ahh, it was Zen for me to dab it on.



Ben Nye Studios makes a whole line of awesome products. For my look, I used the "Ghoul Kit." It consists of a very dead-looking grey base coat, with bruised-looking contrast colors and deep black.







Slowly yet surely, I am transformed into a horrifying minion of the undead!











Filling in the slashes and ragged areas with contrasting makeup and you can see a fetid, decaying Zombie shape beginning to take effect... bwa-hahahaha!!!





But wait! Can't have a brain-devouring Zombie without a little coagulated stage blood, can we? And of course, I went on overdrive with it. A little blood is good, but a LOT? Why, that is so much better, indeedy.









A little more makeup and blood, and I'm almost done... almost there. Hair is spray painted with dead white temporary color, and pulled back into a skinny ponytail to keep out of my undead face.






I decided to cut off the sleeves from this dress shirt - and good thing I did, as it turned out to be very hot inside the club that night. But as you know, one must SUFFER for one's art, right?










Close-up of my handiwork, including the gaping, bleeding neck wound.






And the end result is...



Add a snazzy pinstriped suit with jewel-encrusted spider lapel pin, a crushed velvet top hat, demon skull (with light-up eyes that changed color!) walking cane, and viola! My look was complete. 
Total time spent in this transformation: 4 1/2 hours. Well worth it!

Dr. Gangrene's 7th annual Horror Hootenanny
(clickable link above takes you to Dr. Gangrene's website)


The show itself was huge fun, with the following bands playing live:

The Creeping Cruds (www.jeanoroid.com/)
Spookhand (www.myspace.com/spookhand)
Psycho Charger (www.psychocharger.com)
Alucard


The stage was set at The Muse for the 7th annual Horror Hootenanny!
(Photo credit: Jeano Roid Coffinberry)











The Doctor is in...SANE!!!













(Photo credit: Jeano Roid Coffinberry)












Me and Zombie hubby, Mark, who had a role onstage during Spookhand's show, where he jumps onstage and does a wild dance, pissing the Dr. off, who, along with two other ghouls, grabs and drags him to a chopping block. Down comes the axe on his right paw... SPLATTER! With the use of a hidden spout, fake blood is squirted all over the excited audience. The good Doctor then takes the bloody appendange and drinks the blood from it. It was the PAWS that refreshed indeed. Delicious!













(Photo credit: Jeano Roid Coffinberry)

The Dr. and me!
(mobile phone photo by Mark)

Swag table full of frightfully good stuff!













(Photo credit: Jeano Roid Coffinberry)

The marquee for The Muse
Me posing beside the Spookhand sign in the dressing room.
My biggest fan is behind me.


It was such a 'high,' it's disheartening to think that it will be a full year till the next horrific Hoot. 

I can't wait till next year's show... and am already planning my costume.


7 comments:

Skull Duggery said...

How f@#$ng awesome is that!

- Skull

lifeshighway said...

your skills are amazing! I love reading about the step by step process. You really should have gone professional. After reading this, I can't image anyone else even had a chance at the prize.

Congrats!

SquirrelQueen said...

I love it! I've often wondered why zombies had to look like such slobs, is it that difficult to care about one's appearance.

It sounds like you had a great time. Congrats on the win!

MacabreWebs said...

Wow... thanks, everyone!

I'm very amazed at how great my look turned out, at winning, and at your responses.

I felt completely dormant all summer long... it was WAY too hot to do *anything* but since the weather is now very autumn-like and COOL, I feel a sense of renewal. I swear, I have a reverse sort of S.A.D. that hits me during the summer as opposed to winter.

Here's to a BEAUTIFUL autumn and ... of course, HALLOWEEN!!!

XOXO
Ellie

Mark said...

Here's to a glorious autumn, a great show at Encore, and good times until winter's cold forces us inside until spring and renewal.

Unknown said...

It's looking Very Screry...!!







lapel pins

Undertaker at Kings Island's (H.H) said...

Awesome I use to live in nashville by vanderbilt and remember the muse fondly when i went to Hillsboro in 1999 i use to hang out there and exit iN! gr8 to see there doin awesome stuff there always!