CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Full of Complex Carbohydrates and MicroNutrients

I am a novelty to many (and I'm fine with that).
I have a very silly sense of humor usually riddled with malapropisms (and I'm fine with that, too).
I ask too many questions of Life and I expect all the answers.
I trust people too easily when I shouldn't; however, I respect everyone regardless…unless they do something to make me think twice.
I don't cheat. I am tactful yet will give the truth up front (and never mean to hurt anyone's feelings with it).
I like to help the people who have helped me, and even those who have not.
I never forget... but sometimes I misplace things.
I never lose hope.
I am awesomely blessed for the people who have come into my life, and I am blessed for the people who have left because I realize I didn't need them anyway.
I honestly feel that laughter is the best medicine you can have.
I believe in being strong when everything else seems to be going wrong.
I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles. In other words, I'm human, and definitely not perfect.
But tomorrow is another day, and there's so much cheese to be had...
(thank you to Ranae S. for this bit of inspiration!)

Please click often! It's free, and it helps our animal friends in shelters

The Animal Rescue Site

Everyone, get up and dance now!

Monday, September 19, 2011

Day of the Dead Cackling Coffin


I've finally finished the grand bit of handmade swag that Sheree and I (as our Wicked Witch Productions biz) will be giving away at this year's Horror Hootenanny in Nashville. I sent a few photos to Larry (Dr. Gangrene) and he absolutely loved it! 

(I am less than happy at how the photos turned out - this thing looks a helluva lot better in person)

Deep purple on the outside, encrusted with faux jewels, stars, and roses in an homage to Dia de los Muertos. The skull and swirly leaves below it are crafted from Sculpey, and painted with an array of acrylic paints and sealed with a satin finish.

The inside was lined with a really fabulous blood-red crushed velvet that Mark found for me at a neighbor's yard sale.

When you open the lid, the coffin makes an evil cackling sound. As I was trying to finish lining it, I grew tired of hearing the ongoing laughter, so I came up with the idea of placing something over the light sensor to keep it quiet but easy to remove in order to hear it. I found a tiny resin rose with a sticky back that I put over the sensor, and came up with a poem:
Remove the Rose and you will hear
The laughter of the Dead
Return the Rose and then the Dead
Will sleep in Peace again...

I'm also including a scroll I made about the origins and rituals of Dia de los Muertos that I rolled up and tied with a black satin ribbon which will go inside the coffin. And I have to say, I had a total ball making this, as my creativity just flowed like water. The weather had turned cool and breezy and very Autumn-y as I sat in my studio with the side door opened wide, playing inspiring music like Dead Can Dance (very appropriate, eh?), watching early fall leaves float down to the ground, and feeling like Halloween was just around the corner. 

Well, I plan on doing a whole bunch more of these as my signature 'Day of the Dead Coffin Cackler' series, and will really go to town with the designs, get truly ornate and wild them. I already fashioned a whole slew of skulls that are ready to be used for this purpose (some which are made from that fun glow in the dark plasticene clay!).

Oooh I 'm so excited about this being given away at the show in October! 


0 comments: