CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Full of Complex Carbohydrates and MicroNutrients

I am a novelty to many (and I'm fine with that).
I have a very silly sense of humor usually riddled with malapropisms (and I'm fine with that, too).
I ask too many questions of Life and I expect all the answers.
I trust people too easily when I shouldn't; however, I respect everyone regardless…unless they do something to make me think twice.
I don't cheat. I am tactful yet will give the truth up front (and never mean to hurt anyone's feelings with it).
I like to help the people who have helped me, and even those who have not.
I never forget... but sometimes I misplace things.
I never lose hope.
I am awesomely blessed for the people who have come into my life, and I am blessed for the people who have left because I realize I didn't need them anyway.
I honestly feel that laughter is the best medicine you can have.
I believe in being strong when everything else seems to be going wrong.
I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles. In other words, I'm human, and definitely not perfect.
But tomorrow is another day, and there's so much cheese to be had...
(thank you to Ranae S. for this bit of inspiration!)

Please click often! It's free, and it helps our animal friends in shelters

The Animal Rescue Site

Everyone, get up and dance now!

Friday, December 4, 2009

Post-Thanksgiving Renegade Turkeys



The big Tom kept a vigilant watch


Now this was amazing to behold!

I returned from grocery shopping yesterday on a very frigid, gray afternoon. The mercury never rose above 38 degrees, and I shivered miserably, begrudgingly acknowledging Old Man Winter at my doorstep. Lugging my bags in, as I set them on the kitchen counter I gazed out the glass door leading to the back yard and saw something move. In the span of about one second, I first thought they were big dogs in the yard, then wild boars, until one craned its long neck up to look around. The realization finally hit that they were a flock (or, a 'herd,' as I laughingly described them later to my husband) of free-roaming, wild turkeys.

And dear lord, they were HUUUGE. I mean, really. I had no idea that seeing them so close would render unto me the realization of their enormity. These are not dainty birds in the least, folks!

I froze, not wanting them to spot me lurking in the shadows and run off, so I waited until the leader lowered its head again to continue foraging. Then I very quietly grabbed the new camera that Mark bought me, and as stealthily as I could, crept into our little downstairs bathroom to aim the lens out the window, whereupon I took a few quick shots of these magnificent birds. I counted at least nine of them. Though in my childlike fascination I yearned greatly to walk with them and toss out some grain and stale bread crumbs to supplement their meager lawn foraging, I knew that was not to be, so instead I remained silently watching as they purposefully made their way down the back slope of the yard to the entrance of our woods, where they trotted down the path until, at last, were gone from my sight.

Sigh... an awesome show 'twas!

So far, I've spotted an abundance of deer and fawns, red foxes, moles, squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits, and a wide variety of birds as either visitors or residents of our property. Let's add turkey to the list. How I hope they come back soon! Mark and I already have plans to lay out some feed for them (and of course for the rest of the animals) during the winter.

0 comments: